Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: International Titles achieved by Australians.

1. | #1
    MOZ* is my main signon; PMs to me should be directed here. Other special purpose signons are used.

Default International Titles achieved by Australians.

Quote Originally Posted by chesschat
    FIDE has approved a private application for the IA title by Leonid Sandler ... .

Congratulations to the President of Chess Victoria for his achievement of an International Arbiter title.

The congratulations are a scoop <I leave the reader the task of reading the full notice on chesschat>.
    The ACF consideration of their congratulations may be on the agenda of their (now postponed) next Executive meeting.

Leonid now has the achievements of
    • International Master
    • FIDE Trainer
    • International Organiser
    • International Arbiter.

If the search capability of the FIDE web-site was a little more manageable I would have been able to identify if any other chess official has achieved this bag of titles to match Leonid.

Is it an unique accomplishment?
    FReedom though Fischer-Random chess to enjoy the whole game.

2. | #2

Quote Originally Posted by MOZ View Post
    The ACF consideration of their congratulations may be on the agenda of their (now postponed) next Executive meeting.
    The ACF doesn't normally have Executive meetings and does not have one scheduled.

The ACF has also not normally in the past passed or even considered motions to congratulate recipients of arbiter titles.

Leonid now has the achievements of
    • International Master
    • FIDE Trainer
    • International Organiser
    • International Arbiter.

If the search capability of the FIDE web-site was a little more manageable I would have been able to identify if any other chess official has achieved this bag of titles to match Leonid.

Is it an unique accomplishment?
    No it isn't although it is a very rare one. Years ahead of you on that one sunshine, and using the same search capacity that you malign:

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread....le-allrounders

There have probably been others since. Notably, Efstratios Grivas set an unbeatable record by being the first to achieve titles in all four areas at the maximum level.
    Note: I have poster antichrist on ignore. On no account should anyone assume that I agree with, or am unable to refute, any comment by poster antichrist, simply because I have not responded to it. Chances are I have not even seen it. (NB Quoting posts by antichrist to try to get around this issue will mostly be ineffective). I am also sometimes denied the ability of reply to false accusations in the shoutbox.

3. | #3
    MOZ* is my main signon; PMs to me should be directed here. Other special purpose signons are used.

Quote Originally Posted by HydraTED View Post

The ACF has also not normally in the past passed or even considered motions to congratulate recipients of arbiter titles.

But then these are not normal times, and it would not surprise me to see General Business in Committee meetings at appropriate Club/ State/ (and) National level take time out to recognise achievements.

4. | #4

... and using the same search capacity that you malign:....
    Dictionary meaning of malign: speak about (someone) in a spitefully critical manner.

Another of your paraphrases.

What I actually said was "If the search capability of the FIDE web-site was a little more manageable I would have been able to identify ..." .
    How you got spiteful into this beats me. Why would I have any grievance with FIDE?

Anyhow, a club member kindly sort to update

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread....le-allrounders

and produced

It looks like the following people are ahead of Leonid in the titles count.

Alexander Raetsky has the GM title with FT, IA, IO.( Russia). His FIDE card here

Pavel Kotsur has the GM title with IA,IO,FST( Kazakhstan). His FIDE card here

and the winner is Efstratios Grivas( Greece).His FIDE card here

So perhaps Leonid is top 5.

Ozchess scoops the world chatboards to congratulate the achievement.

5. | #5

Dictionary meaning of malign: speak about (someone) in a spitefully critical manner.

Another of your paraphrases.
    You need to look up "paraphrase". Your usage is incorrect. Not only is your claim of paraphrasing false in this instance, but if you believe it to be true, then you must hypocritically think that you are paraphrasing me. In short, your latest word-game is a shambles.

What I actually said was "If the search capability of the FIDE web-site was a little more manageable I would have been able to identify ..." .
    How you got spiteful into this beats me. Why would I have any grievance with FIDE?
    What I mean is that a bad worksperson blames their tools.

Since you have looked no further for a definition than the dictionary that comes with Google, I draw your attention to these synonyms it gives:

speak ill of, cast aspersions upon, disparage

All of these things you did in implying that the search function was insufficiently manageable. Whether it is or not, I was able to use it for the purpose.

At least this time you did not resort to the so-called Urban Dictionary. Let us be thankful for such tiny mercies.
    Note: I have poster antichrist on ignore. On no account should anyone assume that I agree with, or am unable to refute, any comment by poster antichrist, simply because I have not responded to it. Chances are I have not even seen it. (NB Quoting posts by antichrist to try to get around this issue will mostly be ineffective). I am also sometimes denied the ability of reply to false accusations in the shoutbox.

6. | #6

You need to look up "paraphrase". Your usage is incorrect. Not only is your claim of paraphrasing false in this instance, but if you believe it to be true, then you must hypocritically think that you are paraphrasing me. In short, your latest word-game is a shambles.

What I mean is that a bad worksperson blames their tools.

Since you have looked no further for a definition than the dictionary that comes with Google, I draw your attention to these synonyms it gives:

speak ill of, cast aspersions upon, disparage

All of these things you did in implying that the search function was insufficiently manageable. Whether it is or not, I was able to use it for the purpose.

At least this time you did not resort to the so-called Urban Dictionary. Let us be thankful for such tiny mercies.
    If you inferred from my <If the search capability of the FIDE web-site was a little more manageable I would have been able to identify..> was a bad worksperson blames their tools then it would be pertinent to use this to replace the offensive malign.
    I am happy to cut-and-paste that into post #2, or would you prefer to do so?

7. | #7

If you inferred from my <If the search capability of the FIDE web-site was a little more manageable I would have been able to identify..> was a bad worksperson blames their tools then it would be pertinent to use this to replace the offensive malign.
    I am happy to cut-and-paste that into post #2, or would you prefer to do so?
    I am not happy for you to misuse your misbegotten moderator powers to bastardise my posts because you misunderstood them at any time. Please regard this advice as permanent and please do not suggest I should edit any of my posts again.

You have falsely assumed that the term "malign" necessarily implied "spiteful" without sampling a sufficiently wide range of dictionary definitions to ensure that it does. Here, for example, is one that does not confirm to your assumption: http://www.dictionary.com/browse/malign . A single counterexample suffices to disprove your lazily-researched assumption.

If you are offended because you didn't do your research into the meaning of a word properly then that is your problem. I'm sure you can find appropriate counselling services for your oversensitivity but I am not sure what we will do about your hypocritical tendency to paraphrase others while whinging about them supposedly paraphrasing you (even when they didn't).

Meanwhile congratulations on successfully flushing a thread intended to congratulate IA-elect Sandler down a toilet entirely of your own making. Nothing matters except that you have again increased your own postcount!

8. | #8

You have falsely assumed that the term "malign" necessarily implied "spiteful" without sampling a sufficiently wide range of dictionary definitions to ensure that it does. Here, for example, is one that does not confirm to your assumption: http://www.dictionary.com/browse/malign . A single counterexample suffices to disprove your lazily-researched assumption.

I don't like the new definition of malign that you have dredged.

I have no desire to be anti-FIDE and I think malign is inappropriate and unseemly.

9. | #9

I don't like the new definition of malign that you have dredged.
    Well of course you don't, since it destroys your previous argument that was lazily based on a single definition rather than appropriate consultation with a range of sources.

You then use a word "dredged" which was clearly chosen to imply that I could only find this alternative definition via some kind of serious effort or in an obscure or disreputable place; in fact it is a well known site and was the second hit on Google after the one you used. Having yourself dragged material from the user-contributed muck that is the "Urban Dictionary" in the past you are in no position to accuse others of dredging.

I have no desire to be anti-FIDE and I think malign is inappropriate and unseemly.
    I accused you of maligning the website's search capability, not the organisation. Yet again you engage in inaccurate paraphrasing, strawmanning me as having said you were being "anti-FIDE", while having yourself frequently whinged about being paraphrased. In this case you now accuse me of an "inappropriate and unseemly" use of language on the basis of your blatant misinterpretation of it. That is inappropriate and unseemly, not to mention exceedingly stupid.

It's high time you made your position more consistent by either lifting your objection to paraphrasing or else not doing it yourself. If you must paraphrase while whinging about paraphrasing, at least paraphrase accurately.
    Last edited by HydraTED; 26-10-17 at 01:10 PM.

10. | #10

Well of course you don't, since it destroys your previous argument that was lazily based on a single definition rather than appropriate consultation with a range of sources.
    I did not like your alternate definition because it accuses of to speak harmful untruths about; speak evil of; slander; defame:
    How you move to thinking this is an appropriate interpretation of my words in post #1< If the search capability of the FIDE web-site was a little more manageable> defies my imagination.

11. | #11

I did not like your alternate definition because it accuses of to speak harmful untruths about; speak evil of; slander; defame:
    How you move to thinking this is an appropriate interpretation of my words in post #1< If the search capability of the FIDE web-site was a little more manageable> defies my imagination.
    Your imagination must be limited then. I had no trouble extracting the relevant information and it seems your source had no trouble either. So instead of saying "If the search capability of the FIDE web-site was a little more manageable" you should have put the blame on either your own lack of ability or most likely your own lack of effort.

Finding the information is in fact trivially easy. The holder of four titles must obviously be an IO. Go to advanced search, choose IO from Arbiter/Trainer/Org title and there are only 439 of them. So it is very easy to pick out the four-title holders; you can also sort by rating if you want the stronger IOs at the top.

Blaming the FIDE website for your own inability to use it correctly was a "harmful untruth" about the website and you are guilty of maligning the website as charged.

12. | #12

Your imagination must be limited then. I had no trouble extracting the relevant information and it seems your source had no trouble either. So instead of saying "If the search capability of the FIDE web-site was a little more manageable" you should have put the blame on either your own lack of ability or most likely your own lack of effort.
    I agreed to this in post #6.
    No need to invent another <your own lack of effort>.

Finding the information is in fact trivially easy. The holder of four titles must obviously be an IO. Go to advanced search, choose IO from Arbiter/Trainer/Org title and there are only 439 of them. So it is very easy to pick out the four-title holders; you can also sort by rating if you want the stronger IOs at the top.

Blaming the FIDE website for your own inability to use it correctly was a "harmful untruth" about the website and you are guilty of maligning the website as charged.
    "harmful untruth", so that this is the bottom of the barrel you are scraping.
    "harmful".....

And hence "dredging" was entirely relevant and correct.

Has been done with assistance as has been noted in post #4

13. | #13

I agreed to this in post #6.
    No need to invent another <your own lack of effort>.
    No you did not. You suggested that I should have used that wording instead, and you also threatened to edit my post. You did not in that process agree with my claim, though your agreement is irrelevant since it has been shown to be true. At best you suggested that the alternative wording would have less hurt your poor little feelings. That is not the same as agreeing that it would have been true.

"harmful untruth", so that this is the bottom of the barrel you are scraping.
    "harmful".....

And hence "dredging" was entirely relevant and correct.
    The prisoner's failure to contest "untruth" is noted. Of course it is harmful to claim that a website is poorly designed when it isn't. It is an insult to the competence of the designer and to the host organisation, and is "capable of causing harm" (same site) by discouraging people from using the website, or causing them to think poorly of FIDE.

Moreover, you have moved the goalposts from objecting to the whole definition I'd supposedly "dredged" to objecting to alleged "dredging" within that definition.

Has been done with assistance as has been noted in post #4
    But not all that well as it turns out. Igor Glek (GM, FA, FST, IO) now exceeds Leonid in two titles while trailing him in one. Glek should have been noted as also at least arguably ahead.

14. | #14

Cool Looks Like the OzChess Vacation is Over :(

And just when we were enjoying a holiday from your aggressive and abrasive personality, unfortunately you come forth yet again to stir the pot, needlessly.

I am not happy for you to misuse your misbegotten moderator powers to bastardise my posts because you misunderstood them at any time. Please regard this advice as permanent and please do not suggest I should edit any of my posts again.
    You shouldn't just edit many of your posts Kevin, you should delete them in an effort to turn over a new leaf.

If you are offended because you didn't do your research into the meaning of a word properly then that is your problem. I'm sure you can find appropriate counselling services for your oversensitivity but I am not sure what we will do about your hypocritical tendency to paraphrase others while whinging about them supposedly paraphrasing you (even when they didn't).
    I didn't know you also had a PhD in English. Taking into account the vernacular of the word 'malign', MOZ was quite correct in his assumption. It was you who should have been clearer if you wanted others to better understand what you wrote.

Meanwhile congratulations on successfully flushing a thread intended to congratulate Ielect Sandler down a toilet entirely of your own making. Nothing matters except that you have again increased your own postcount!
    Well, MOZ can hardly be blamed for you clumsily blustering into his thread and making a spectacle of yourself.

FIDE has approved a private application for the IA title by Leonid Sandler. The application was neither supported nor opposed by the ACF.
    Is it not the role of the ACF to support these kind of applications from Australians? If the ACF is not willing to support Australian chess players at times like this, then why should Australian chess players support the ACF?
    "The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing."

~ Isaiah Berlin ~

15. | #15

Quote Originally Posted by Just2Good View Post
    And just when we were enjoying a holiday from your aggressive and abrasive personality, unfortunately you come forth yet again to stir the pot, needlessly.

You shouldn't just edit many of your posts Kevin, you should delete them in an effort to turn over a new leaf.

I didn't know you also had a PhD in English. Taking into account the vernacular of the word 'malign', MOZ was quite correct in his assumption. It was you who should have been clearer if you wanted others to better understand what you wrote.

Well, MOZ can hardly be blamed for you clumsily blustering into his thread and making a spectacle of yourself.

Is it not the role of the ACF to support these kind of applications from Australians? If the ACF is not willing to support Australian chess players at times like this, then why should Australian chess players support the ACF?
    Two very good questions you ask J2G.
    Your first question is addressed in this post. For those reluctant to go there, I provide a cut and paste of the post

FIDE has approved a private application for the IA title by Leonid Sandler. The application was neither supported nor opposed by the ACF.

By the way, I presume you are congratulating Leonid for achieving an IA title?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast