Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Are some of FM Michael Barons posts on Chesschat bordering on hate speech?

1. | #46

Quote Originally Posted by Just2Good View Post
    And why do you get to decide for everyone what is allowable or not?
    Because I'm a moderator, stupid. And because many posters on Chesschat share a view about AC derailing threads with the same old nonsense, and some would even like him banned for good.

It's really quite bizarre that firegoat and now you are banging on about this one. Both of you have moderated completely capriciously whenever you felt like it in the past. I've been shutting down AC's silly analogy and threadjacking games when they get out of control for years and for good reasons and you suddenly react as if this is some kind of big deal.

If it looks like surpression, and quacks like surpression, then it's Kevin Bonham.
    If it looks like misspelling of a big word and it quacks like misspelling of a big word, then it's certainly Just2Good.
    Note: I have poster antichrist on ignore. On no account should anyone assume that I agree with, or am unable to refute, any comment by poster antichrist, simply because I have not responded to it. Chances are I have not even seen it. (NB Quoting posts by antichrist to try to get around this issue will mostly be ineffective). I am also sometimes denied the ability of reply to false accusations in the shoutbox.

2. | #47

Alex, what do you think of this analogy? Have you seen this analogy of comparison between the ages pop up anywhere?

Hundreds of years ago the Roman Catholic Church decreed that the ordinary congregation could not hold or translate the Bible into the vernacular - with good reason. They knew what would happen, all the crazies (include Axiom) would come up with crazy interpretations and would result in, for example, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, the Quakers and Shakers , there have been thousands of them over the past few centuries. (The decrees I refer to are at the bottom of this post.)

Now fast forward to the current era where we have alternative sources of news via the internet. We have independent interpretations, fake news feeds, extremists and crackpots grow like wild weeds and create havoc.

Exactly like what happened when the Bible was eventually translated into the vernacular and all hellfire broke lose.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    it is like comparing Alex T...... here to Carl Zuckerberg - I bet you love that one

3. | #48

Michael Baron can thank his lucky stars ie. KB's immoral and unethical gatekeeping - for The Fire and The Ax not being over there to shatter his erroneous ways.

(Road Runner and Ian Murray are doing their best, but yeah well you know what i mean)
    "Don't let the snow get down the back of your pants" ~ SCT

4. | #49

I was just wondering whether The Baron was too busy with drug addicts and aboriginals to pass comment on the current Banking Scandal.

"People are trained to look sideways and downwards for the problem but rarely upwards" - Axiom

5. | #50

Quote Originally Posted by Axiom View Post
    I was just wondering whether The Baron was too busy with drug addicts and aboriginals to pass comment on the current Banking Scandal.

"People are trained to look sideways and downwards for the problem but rarely upwards" - Axiom
    If you are walking in shit of course you look downwards and sideways - unless pigs are flying then certainly look upwards

6. | #51

Quote Originally Posted by Axiom View Post

why don't you make your complaint on chesschat? he can't hear you from here

7. | #52

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    why don't you make your complaint on chesschat? he can't hear you from here
    Are you sure about that?

8. | #53
    Currently playing at Hobsons Bay chess club where the tournaments are the best value in the state!

Those silly white males are at it again on chesschat. They continue to mock indigenous people based on the alleged written authority of Andrew Bolt from the Herald Sun. I wonder if it ever occurred to intellectual giants like Jammo and Baron that maybe Andrew Bolt wasn't the best source for any serious discussion about indigenous cultures.

Anyway continuing on Jammo produced this rational gem...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammo on Chesschat
    And what should be done in cases where religious beliefs conflict? For example say aborigines don’t like bones being displayed but vikings have a tradition of displaying their ancestors’ bones so that they can be venerated. Perhaps it would come down to whether the bones were of Viking or aboriginal origins as to whether they should be displayed or not.
    Errr no. See Jammo what you obviously rationally fail to appreciate is that State of Victoria identifies itself in partnership with traditional indigenous people who are guardians of their ancestral land.

ie...
    Quote Originally Posted by From Victorian government
    ...Protect Ancestors’ resting places and return Ancestors to Country

Since 1 August 2016 we are the central coordinating body responsible for Ancestral Remains in Victoria. Over time, this new role will allow the Council to strengthen the protection of Aboriginal burial places and deliver better support for Traditional Owners returning Ancestors to Country.
    Clearly the issue is much more complex then feigned moral outrage as delivered by the Herald Sun. Just consider this point.....The bones of a Viking belong to a spirit that ones walked the earth in a different time and place. As a mark of respect to all indigenous cultures around the world, Vikings included, it would be extremely disrespectful to disturb their ancestors bones and drag them half way across the world to be displayed for entertainment purposes on Indigenous Victorian land.

The rationality of silly White males, who wish to be titillated by such things ought to be challenged because in almost all cultures it is considered profane to disturb the dead, hence the saying Rest in Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron on chesschat
    Fantastic...So shall we respect all others in the same way and not exibit things that may potentially offend: Christians, Muslims? All Races, all genders, all socio-economic groups?
    Baron on the other hand, as usual, attempts to diminish indigenous respect by suggesting that egalitarianism of so called imported civilisation and rational morality should be the yardstick for measuring worth.
    He of course fails to understand that he now resides on land that had custodians before Christianity even existed and until relatively recently in historical evolution didn't have a need for being disrespectful to the dead. He can rationalise that all he likes along the time scale of history.

But how can anybody take anything Baron says about indigenous culture seriously when he attempts to demean indigenous culture with off the cuff nonsense like...
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron on Chesschat
    "....Check the rock paintings ..they may hold key to the clue"
    Baron simply has no clue. Does he even comprehend that indigenous oral stories predate books?
    Last edited by Firegoat7; 06-05-18 at 02:38 AM.
    Ozchess died on the 7/4/2013- killed by Gatekeepers

9. | #54
    Currently playing at Hobsons Bay chess club where the tournaments are the best value in the state!

I wonder how you come to the conclusion that bones are more offensive than images. Are you aboriginal or you have knowledge that this is the consensus aboriginal view? I would have thought, for example, that an aborigine faced with either seeing a movie which contained images of his recently departed father or of seeing some random 1000 year old viking bones would find the movie more offensive.
    You are a silly old fool. You have absolutely no knowledge about Indigenous culture, yet you hold strong beliefs about their cultural practices. You don't even understand that a Viking is an aboriginal person. You also do not understand that most museums around the world do not display the bodies of indigenous people. You don't even seem to understand that bones are culturally particularly sensitive when discussing indigenous culture.
    If images of aborigines only are offensive then only aboriginal bones must be offensive ... not viking bones.
    You are ignorant and do not understand that a viking is an aboriginal person.
    It must be very hard on trainee aboriginal doctors also if they cannot look at bones (i.e. skeletons) in the course of their studies.
    You show no cultural sensitivity at all. In fact, it is extremely difficult for brave people who do want to do the right thing in both indigenous and Western cultural practices when their values conflict.
    Clearly the suggestion that displaying non-aboriginal bones may be offensive to aborigines is illogical nonsense.
    You have no understanding about the word aboriginal. You are so wrong about the subject you don't even realise your own ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Baron
    So why seek advice from elders in the first place?
    You are an unbelievably arrogant person. Elders are respected and honored in Indigenous society. Why don't you show some basic compassion towards people and stop talking about Indigenous people in a negative way. I would suggest to you that a Rabbi is a respected person in Jewish culture and that it would be completely normal for Jewish people to seek their advice. How difficult is it to comprehend that Indigenous elders should be respected and revered in a similar manner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Baron
    Is it a common practice to seek advice of ALL ethnic groups displays are related to?
    Museums are fully aware that this is a real issue for Indigenous people. It has been discussed at length for many years. Andrew Bolt is really playing you for a fool. He would be the first person to scream outrage if it was decided that it was in the public interest to dig up the bones of say the English Royal family or Anzac soldiers and display them in museums.
    Ozchess died on the 7/4/2013- killed by Gatekeepers

10. | #55

NOw listen Firegoat, why did you let the Baron get the better of you at the Melbourne Chess Club Allegro? You were representing all the downtrodden - you are no Jesse Owens. Next you be letting Hydrated boot you in the backside and something will end up smelling.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Members who have read this thread : 13