Thread: Trying to find a Novag Chess Computer

1. | #1

Default Trying to find a Novag Chess Computer

Hello there,

I was wondering if anyone here might be able to help me on a bit of a strange request.

Many years ago I purchased a Novag Obsidian chess set from Chess Discount Sales (RIP Peter Parr).

I am now a father and would like to use something similar to get my kids into chess. I am particularly fond of the Novag brand.
    I know that Novag went out of business in 2014 but I am trying to track down and traces of stock that may be left in Australia. I know that Chess Discount Sales had a few in stock before Peter passed but I have been unable to trace down where that stock may have gone.
    I wondered if you might be able to help me with any pointers?

Thanks in advance!

2. | #2

now listen bert, only about two and a half bods follow this board, one is deranged, one has flown the coop to Canada never to be sighted again fleeing legal suites, one has to go to the outer planets to play chess, all virtually barred from CC - then there is Matt who is MIA

3. | #3

my maths says that's about 4...!

In any case, I guess what you are saying is that there may not be much hope for me furthering my quest here?

4. | #4

Quote Originally Posted by bert386 View Post

Many years ago I purchased a Novag Obsidian chess set from Chess Discount Sales (RIP Peter Parr).

I am now a father and would like to use something similar to get my kids into chess.
    What happened to the one bought many years ago?

Have you tried Google Search?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Novag-Ob...-/263444031079

5. | #5

I think i purchased it around about 2001. Used it and learnt chess from it as a teenager. It went into storage for 5 or so years. When it was brought out of storage it had a damaged PCB and LCD (Not entirely sure) but at the time i didn't think much of it and threw it out with the intention of buying a new unit. This was before such things became extremely rare.

Yes I checked google and saw that listing, I was hoping to pay a bit less for a used Unit and preferably in AU!

6. | #6

I think i purchased it around about 2001. Used it and learnt chess from it as a teenager. It went into storage for 5 or so years. When it was brought out of storage it had a damaged PCB and LCD (Not entirely sure) but at the time i didn't think much of it and threw it out with the intention of buying a new unit. This was before such things became extremely rare.

Yes I checked google and saw that listing, I was hoping to pay a bit less for a used Unit and preferably in AU!
    I see. That looks to be quite difficult. As you say "extremely rare".
    You might have to settle for something different. Which shouldn't be too much of a problem if its sole purpose is to assist and inspire your children.

https://www.gambitchesssupplies.com....Chess_Products

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-electro...t/k0?sort=rank
    Last edited by Jasper; 06-07-18 at 02:23 PM.

7. | #7

You might want to get in touch with the Gardiner Chess centre on the Gold Coast. They might still have one.
    "The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing."

~ Isaiah Berlin ~

8. | #8

Quote Originally Posted by Just2Good View Post
    You might want to get in touch with the Gardiner Chess centre on the Gold Coast. They might still have one.
    I think he might be a bit past that on his quest.

9. | #9

Bert - let us know how you go.
    Can't go wrong with the Excalibur for $80 can you?
    "Don't let the snow get down the back of your pants" ~ SCT

Members who have read this thread : 8