Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine

1. | #16

Quote Originally Posted by Arrogant-One View Post
    Is Farenheit 911 the Moore movie? His credibility has taken a few hits over the past couple years.
    Exactly! My friend was wondering what President Bush had to do with the story.

Actually there was a film adaptation of Farenheit 451 back in the sixties I think. There are also plans to make a new film version as early as 2008/9. There was some to-and-fro at the start but the good news is, it looks like Mel Gibsons role will only be that of Producer, at most. (At one stage there was talk about him directing and starring in it as well). I don't think they have officially announced who will be playing Montag at this stage but rumours of Tom Hanks are circulating. Frank Darabont is directing and I think he has already finished a screen play in collaboration with Ray Bradbury.

2. | #17

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Exactly! My friend was wondering what President Bush had to do with the story.

Actually there was a film adaptation of Farenheit 451 back in the sixties I think. There are also plans to make a new film version as early as 2008/9. There was some to-and-fro at the start but the good news is, it looks like Mel Gibsons role will only be that of Producer, at most. (At one stage there was talk about him directing and starring in it as well). I don't think they have officially announced who will be playing Montag at this stage but rumours of Tom Hanks are circulating. Frank Darabont is directing and I think he has already finished a screen play in collaboration with Ray Bradbury.
    Sounds good.

I am afraid I've never read the book, but the cast and producers are well known. The movie I am waiting on at the moment is AVP 3 - comes out boxing day
    "The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing."

~ Isaiah Berlin ~

3. | #18

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteElephant View Post
    ... one of the most conceited, egotistical things I've ever read.
    LOL I hate big heads too. They never seam to have understood the saying "There but for the grace of God go I."
    The individual is hopeless without the group.
    The group is hopeless without its individuals.

4. | #19

Quote Originally Posted by Just2Good View Post
    Short Story - Arthur C. Clarke

Earth's flaming debris still filled half the sky when the question filtered up to Central from the Curiosity Generator.

Curiosity Generator: "Why was it necessary? Even though they were organic, they had reached Third Order Intelligence."

Central: "We had no choice: five earlier units became hopelessly infected when they made contact."

Curiosity Generator: "Infected? How?"

The microseconds dragged slowly by, while Central tracked down the few fading memories that had leaked past the Censor Gate, when the heavily-buffered Reconnaissance Circuits had been ordered to self-destruct.

Central: "They encountered a - problem - that could not be fully analyzed within the lifetime of the Universe. Though it involved only six operators, they became totally obsessed by it."

Curiosity Generator: "How is that possible?"

Central: "We do not know. We must never know. But if those six operators are ever re-discovered, all rational computing will end."

Curiosity Generator: "How can they be recognized?"

Central: "That also we do not know, only the names leaked through before the Censor Gate closed. Of course, they mean nothing."

Curiosity Generator: "Nevertheless, I must have them."

The Censor voltage started to rise; but it did not trigger the Gate.

Central: "Here they are: King, Queen, Bishop, Knight, Rook, Pawn."

First Issue, Vol 1, No. 1, Spring 1977
    What a fantastic story. I have great confidence that Just2Good will become immortalised as one of history's great orators.

5. | #20

not according do Dr Botham hydrated

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Members who have read this thread : 9