Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi, a few questions about memberships to ACF/FIDE

1. | #1

Default Hi, a few questions about memberships to ACF/FIDE

Hello fellow Aussie chess enthusiasts,

I'm a new player, playing mostly online with an exception against two friends OTB (one it quite a bit better than me, other is weaker). I'm probably not even 1300FIDE rated (although ChessTempo predicts me to be almost 1400 - which is a joke), but it's hard to know since I never played in an OTB tournament.

I'm from Brisbane, and would like to know the following:

How do I become a member of ACF? Do I just have to go to an event, sign up and then after the tournament I get my ID? How do I get into FIDE? Is ACF part of FIDE, or completely different?

Is there any place I can do this registration for ACF online? Also, are the only tournaments officially recognised by ACF the ones on State Chess Associations websites? (CAQ in my example)

2. | #2

Quote Originally Posted by blunderer View Post

I'm a new player, playing mostly online with an exception against two friends OTB (one it quite a bit better than me, other is weaker). I'm probably not even 1300FIDE rated (although ChessTempo predicts me to be almost 1400 - which is a joke), but it's hard to know since I never played in an OTB tournament.

How do I become a member of ACF? Do I just have to go to an event, sign up and then after the tournament I get my ID? How do I get into FIDE? Is ACF part of FIDE, or completely different?

Is there any place I can do this registration for ACF online? Also, are the only tournaments officially recognised by ACF the ones on State Chess Associations websites? (CAQ in my example)
    Thank you for your enquiry. We will have someone tend to your questions shortly.

Welcome to OzChess ~ The Heart of Australian Chess
    "Don't let the snow get down the back of your pants" ~ SCT

3. | #3

ACF doesn't organise any tournaments it only allocates tournaments to tenders. You can only join the state association.

4. | #4
    Currently playing at Hobsons Bay chess club where the tournaments are the best value in the state!

I'm from Brisbane,
    Greetings Blunderer, You don't need to apologise for your cultural illiteracy on this forum. Hell we even accept Tasmanians on this forum so being a Cane toad shouldn't be a problem. All you need to do is read the thread Siberian Chess training and hopefully you will be de-programmed. Now in regards to your nice questions.....
    How do I become a member of ACF?
    We simply try to ignore this secret society called the ACF on Ozchess. In actual fact they don't allow the rank and file to become members with voting rights.

Do I just have to go to an event, sign up and then after the tournament I get my ID?
    yes thats right. Once you play organised OTB chess they then take part of that entry fee and tax you with a file number. A bit like the Nasties did and we all know where that led...
    How do I get into FIDE?
    You need to be 1) elected 2) An ACF junket official 3) Live in Switzerland. if you want a Fide rating you just need to play a Fide rated tournament and have the whole tax thingy get repeated at a global scale.
    Is ACF part of FIDE, or completely different?
    they are exactly the same thing. The ACF is National and Fide Global. Both extort money from chess players for providing dubious bureaucratic services.
    Is there any place I can do this registration for ACF online?
    Nah The ACF are a bunch of backward hicks and to be honest they don't actually regard the individual chess player as a member.
    Also, are the only tournaments officially recognised by ACF the ones on State Chess Associations websites? (CAQ in my example)
    Nope. thankfully in the real chess land there exists numerous chess clubs all around Australia who provide OTB chess for the rank and file. Brisbane,Redcliffe and Gold Coast all have clubs, the best ones are all in Victoria of course!
    Ozchess died on the 7/4/2013- killed by Gatekeepers

5. | #5

Not all the best chess clubs are in Victoria
    Last edited by george; 09-11-18 at 10:48 AM.

6. | #6

Hi blunderer,

The ACF being the national chess body deals with national issues including running the national rating system. In the last few years it has made more money available to assist sponsoring tournaments - the application procedure although of necessity thorough should not put folks off from applying for funding assistance. Guidelines to help chessclubs/states-territories apply can be obtained from ACF website or from your state/territory ACF Councillor or email an appropriate ACF Official as per ACF Website. Recently the ACF organised an Australian Olympiad Appeal where it matched dollar for dollar any hard earned donations made by chess public. This resulted in a record amount donated - hence an equally large amount donated by ACF. enjoy chess always!

7. | #7
    Currently playing at Hobsons Bay chess club where the tournaments are the best value in the state!

Oh yeah I forgot like George said......sometimes they give the money back that they take off chess players and give it to other chess players, but most of the time they squander it on nonsense like sending ACF reps overseas for junkets.

8. | #8

Hi Firegoat 7,

The ACF must send someone to represent its interests at major FIDE meetings. To call going to a conference once a year or so going on a junket is your privilege - I happen not to agree. When the person representing ACF comes back with fulsome reports and does everything the ACF expects of him/her is it any wonder he/she is re-appointed to the position.
    I have had disagreements with Kevin in the past and may well have in the future ( such is a democracy) but he does a great job.
    If you or anyone else wishes to lobby for someone else to get the job contact your ACF Councillor - easily obtained access to emails via ACF Website.
    regards
    George
    ACF Councillor

9. | #9

Quote Originally Posted by george View Post
    Hi Firegoat 7,
    Hello George. I hope you are well.
    The ACF must send someone to represent its interests at major FIDE meetings.
    Um no. They do not have to send someone to these meetings. Instead they should make the Australian government understand that they cannot afford to spend limited funds on such matters.
    To call going to a conference once a year or so going on a junket is your privilege - I happen not to agree.
    We can agree to disagree then. In a civil way of course
    When the person representing ACF comes back with fulsome reports and does everything the ACF expects of him/her is it any wonder he/she is re-appointed to the position.
    Let me put it this way. It is more important that the ACF takes responsibility for tournaments like the Australian Open then attend Fide meetings. The money wasted on having somebody attend these bureaucratic talkfests could have been spent securing a better venue for the Australian Open.
    I have had disagreements with Kevin in the past and may well have in the future ( such is a democracy) but he does a great job.
    If you or anyone else wishes to lobby for someone else to get the job contact your ACF Councillor - easily obtained access to emails via ACF Website.
    regards
    With due respect this work is unimportant and an unnecessary expense. It is much more important for Australian chess to have International standard events like the Australian open. The way I see it the worst case scenario is that Australian government gets shamed for not funding chess properly in this country.

10. | #10

dear Firegoat7,
    Stop chatting here and watch the match

11. | #11

Quote Originally Posted by Firegoat7 View Post
    Um no. They do not have to send someone to these meetings. Instead they should make the Australian government understand that they cannot afford to spend limited funds on such matters.
    That who cannot afford? The ACF or the Australian Government? Being ignored by government is one thing but being laughed at by government would be the effect of your solution - a national sporting body whinging that it can't afford to subsidise representation at the conferences at which it casts a vote, yet wants the government to help it. Why should government do that when there are sports it can get far more bang for buck from politically by wasting money on those sports instead? Especially when the premise of your suggestion is in fact not even remotely true.

Again and again there is this pattern. Your comments about this matter are motivated by personal grudges. Because you are so blinkered by these grudges you will come up with any suggestion - however daft - in order to pretend to have a leg to stand on. As a result you keep picking arguments with me that you will lose. Some advice: when you want to attack me but even half-realise you have nothing, just shut up and do something more productive with your time. You'll also then find you don't see me post here (which you find so unbearable) nearly so often.

Let me put it this way. It is more important that the ACF takes responsibility for tournaments like the Australian Open then attend Fide meetings. The money wasted on having somebody attend these bureaucratic talkfests could have been spent securing a better venue for the Australian Open.
    Let me put it this way. You in fact don't even know what the net cost to the ACF of sending someone to FIDE meetings will be. You then claim that the money could have been spent securing a different venue but you have no idea if that is actually true, and what you don't understand on that front is that money isn't actually the problem.

The way I see it the worst case scenario is that Australian government gets shamed for not funding chess properly in this country.
    I've often observed that you are politically clueless but this is a new low. You don't realise that if chess even attempted to "shame" a government for not funding it, that would rebound to the government's credit and be an embarrassment for chess. If there's a path to funding it's not such crude tactics, it would be in convincing government that funding chess has positive benefits that can be sold to the general public to the government's credit.
    Note: I have poster antichrist on ignore. On no account should anyone assume that I agree with, or am unable to refute, any comment by poster antichrist, simply because I have not responded to it. Chances are I have not even seen it. (NB Quoting posts by antichrist to try to get around this issue will mostly be ineffective). I am also sometimes denied the ability of reply to false accusations in the shoutbox.

12. | #12

Bonham that last post by you was absolutely PATHETIC!

Clearly, you do not seem to understand that chess is funded by government in a number of decent chess playing countries, but not here in Australia.
    My opinion is simply that funds should not be used to send officials overseas whilst this remains the case.
    The prize money for the elite tournaments in Australia is so low that this should be the priority.
    What the ACF should do is lobby both sides of parliament for funding and play the political game.
    Chess contributes decent coin to State and Federal governments it is obvious that we deserve some funding.

But....of course....YOU DON"T SEE THE BIG PICTURE!

13. | #13

what serious coin does chess contribute to govt coffers?

14. | #14

Quote Originally Posted by Firegoat7 View Post
    Clearly, you do not seem to understand that chess is funded by government in a number of decent chess playing countries, but not here in Australia.
    Clearly you do not realise that "Clearly, you do not seem" is self-contradictory, as if you want to be sure you have summarised my position but you also want to preserve some wriggle room by saying it only seems to be. In fact there is no reason to conclude that I don't understand that, nor that I don't appear to understand it. If you weren't such a simpleton in all things political, you would realise that I attribute differences in government attitudes to funding chess largely to culture. Outdoor, primarily physical and summer sports play a larger role in Australian culture than elsewhere, and sports that don't tick any of those boxes generally struggle to compete.

My opinion is simply that funds should not be used to send officials overseas whilst this remains the case.
    No, your opinion is that funds should not be used to send me overseas. If it was someone you liked your opinion would reverse as surely as night follows day, because you are not a consistent person. Anyway the consequence of your suggestion would be that Australia's ability to influence FIDE decisions and appointments is reduced for the sake of a pointless attempt to change government attitudes that government is simply not going to notice.

The prize money for the elite tournaments in Australia is so low that this should be the priority.
    It is a false dichotomy. The ACF could choose to throw money at prizes for elite tournaments as well if it wanted to. The ACF just doesn't happen to believe elite tournaments need to run at large losses.

What the ACF should do is lobby both sides of parliament for funding and play the political game.
    Chess contributes decent coin to State and Federal governments it is obvious that we deserve some funding.

But....of course....YOU DON"T SEE THE BIG PICTURE!
    On the contrary - being the troll that you are, you have changed your supposed big picture after I pointed out that your previous big picture of shaming governments was pointless. Now you are switching to want to "lobby" and suggesting positive (if unpromising) arguments instead of negative tactics as in your previous post.

This is how it always is with you. No consistency, just an eternal pattern of complain-complain-complain, always shifting from one complaint to the next no matter how many times you contradict yourself.
    Note: I have poster antichrist on ignore. On no account should anyone assume that I agree with, or am unable to refute, any comment by poster antichrist, simply because I have not responded to it. Chances are I have not even seen it. (NB Quoting posts by antichrist to try to get around this issue will mostly be ineffective). I am also sometimes denied the ability of reply to false accusations in the shoutbox.

15. | #15

Quote Originally Posted by HydraTED View Post
    Clearly you do not realise that "Clearly, you do not seem" is self-contradictory, as if you want to be sure you have summarised my position but you also want to preserve some wriggle room by saying it only seems to be. In fact there is no reason to conclude that I don't understand that, nor that I don't appear to understand it. If you weren't such a simpleton in all things political, you would realise that I attribute differences in government attitudes to funding chess largely to culture. Outdoor, primarily physical and summer sports play a larger role in Australian culture than elsewhere, and sports that don't tick any of those boxes generally struggle to compete.
    Reiterating what I have already said. Clearly, you do not seem to understand the bigger picture. If you believe that a major reason Australian chess does not get any Federal or State support from government is because of a preconceived cultural bias against chess, then you should simply resign from all ACF positions. Leaders with a defeatist belief system should NEVER hold office and how could anybody seriously trust what they are saying. It is annoying that you seem to genuinely believe that any discussion about ACF funding ought to revolve around you and your myopic opinions on the subject. In the bigger picture it is much more important for Australian chess to have International quality chess tournaments then send Bonham,Wastell etc or whoever is flavour of the month overseas to vote at Fide meetings.

No, your opinion is that funds should not be used to send me overseas. If it was someone you liked your opinion would reverse as surely as night follows day, because you are not a consistent person. Anyway the consequence of your suggestion would be that Australia's ability to influence FIDE decisions and appointments is reduced for the sake of a pointless attempt to change government attitudes that government is simply not going to notice.
    My opinion is that Australia should not send any chess bureaucrat overseas and that includes team captains without Olympic funding. IF Australia wants all this pomp and ceremony then the Australian government should pay for it, not chess players. And Australia has no place or right, to vainly suggest it should influence Fide decisions or appointments if it cannot run International quality chess tournaments. Australia has never held a World Championship match. Australia has never held a Super GM tournament. Australia has never held a chess Olympiad. For goodness sake in Australia the ACF does not even seem to care about the quality of the Australian Open. It cares so little about it that it almost didn't even get a run this year. How anybody could argue that it is more important to send officials overseas then run the Australian Open properly is unforgivable.

It is a false dichotomy. The ACF could choose to throw money at prizes for elite tournaments as well if it wanted to. The ACF just doesn't happen to believe elite tournaments need to run at large losses.
    Clearly the ACF belief system is in trouble. We have a once in a generation group of talent in this country and the ACF would rather support its own officials then these talented young players.

On the contrary - being the troll that you are, you have changed your supposed big picture after I pointed out that your previous big picture of shaming governments was pointless. Now you are switching to want to "lobby" and suggesting positive (if unpromising) arguments instead of negative tactics as in your previous post.
    How are you this naive? If you hold power in a chess organisation, then you go into bat for that Chess organisation or get out! Here is how it ought to be done. The ACF leadership should talk to the Liberal and Labor parties in this country and explain that they will recommend that their membership vote for either party based on what outcomes they can deliver for chess. The party that offers the most benefit to chess is the one the ACF leadership support as public policy. The ACF should then publicly advertsise its considered position on the matter in the public sphere. Power should be utilsed for the public good.

This is how it always is with you. No consistency, just an eternal pattern of complain-complain-complain, always shifting from one complaint to the next no matter how many times you contradict yourself.
    Dude. You are an incredibly negative and self interested person. I seriously doubt you would ever be able to argue a position where you cut your own funding because it was the right thing to do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread : 10